Not adhering to ethical standards and maintaining professionalism as a caregiver has its consequences which negatively affects recipients of caregivers, organizations they work for and even caregivers themselves. Understanding the far reaching consequences of unprofessionalism as a caregiver can help you avoid being unprofessional in your caregiving practice.
Here are some consequences of caregiver unprofessionalism:
- DECLINING HEALTH OF CARE RECIPIENT: When a caregiver exhibits unprofessional behavior such as negligence, lack of empathy, slow response to care prompts, these can result in a decline or deterioration in the health condition of their care recipients.
- REPUTATION DAMAGE & LOSS OF TRUST: Exhibiting unprofessional behaviors such as lateness, rudeness, subpar work, abruptly terminating care contracts/jobs, negligence, etc leads to a dented reputation and loss of trust of clients in caregivers or in the caregiving organization they represent.
- LEGAL ISSUES: Unprofessionalism by caregivers can sometimes lead to legal consequences such as lawsuits against caregiver organizations for negligence, standard violations or malpractice.
- PENALTIES FOR CAREGIVERS: Caregivers can be penalized for unprofessional conduct by the organizations they work for. For example, abruptly terminating a care job contract can attract a fine which will be enforced by a deduction in caregiver income. In a different instance, it can result in being laid off/sacked by a client or by the caregiver organization.
- ORGANIZATIONAL HARM: Unprofessional behavior of caregivers working with a caregiver agency can harm the organization and impede its success in many ways. For example, caregiver organizations can lose clients and suffer financial losses due to bad reputation fostered by the unprofessional conduct(s) of their caregivers. They also lose money when they have to incur fresh costs of replacing caregivers who abruptly default on their care contracts with their clients.
- LOSS OF RELATIONSHIPS: Caregiver unprofessionalism leads to a strain or loss of relationships with persons or families caregivers or/and their organizations have worked with.
- PROFESSIONAL BLACKLISTING: Caregivers can become blacklisted from the caregiving industry in their areas due to a pattern of unprofessionalism. This can affect their ability to secure any future caregiving employment.
To avoid these unprofessional caregiving behaviors, read our article on ‘Essential Professional Ethics to Adopt as a Caregiver’.
CONTACT VITALIS HEALTHCARE
At Vitalis HealthCare, we prioritize and provide a warm, conducive and safe environment for our team of professional caregivers and certified nursing assistants.
We are constantly looking for professional caregivers and certified nursing assistants who view providing aid as a passion and not just a job.
If you are interested in working with us, send in your application or contact us for further enquiry using the contact details outlined below.
We provide our services in every county in the State of Maryland, United States of America.
Office Address: 8757 Georgia Avenue Suite 440 Silver Spring, MD 20910